Tuesday, April 14, 2009

We broke Alex!

**This is kinda long, if you want to know details, read on, if you only want to know the outcome, skip to the last few sentences.**
You know how I said it was training season in the last post, well that means any spare hours we get, when it's light outside, are spent training the dogs. So, Easter Sunday, we had some time between 12, when we got out of church and 4, when Mom got out of church. So after J and I baked a carrot cake and Alex got out at 2, the 3 of us went out to the desert. (We need 3 people to make it like a hunt Test, cuz J has to run the dogs and there has to be 2 people far apart throwing the birds/bumpers.) When Alex was running out to his blind (where the throwers hide behind, so the dogs don't see them), he was apparently running and jumping and he landed badly and rolled his left ankle out sideways. So, I went over to him and he said, "I sprained my ankle," but he wasn't crying, just whimpering a bit, so I carried him to his blind and told him just to sit there and throw, don't put weight on it and we'll see how it feels in a bit. When it was time to leave, he tried to hobble back to the truck, so we had Justin go get him and carry him back. He also didn't appreciate the bumpy dirt road we had to leave on, so I called Wendy, told her he rolled his ankle running on the uneven groud and asked if I could give him an Ibuprofen. When we got to Grandma's house, J carried him into the house and Wendy decided his ankle was a bit swollen, but he wanted to Easter Egg Hunt anyway. He didn't get too far, about halfway through he gave up, so we knew he was really hurting. While we ate, Wendy wrapped it and put some frozen peas on it. Hehee. I think that helped. But Monday morning Wendy called me and said that Alex asked to not go to recess that day and his ankle was more swollen and a little bruised. So they went to the Emergency care place. The doctor said he wasn't having sensitivity in the ligaments or tendons, only in the bone, so they took an X-ray and lo and behold- a chipped bone! So, we really broke Alex! They put him in an air cast and sent him home for day. He has to go back in a couple days, to make sure it's getting better, but there's not much they can do, besides him keeping it elevated. Oh, I asked him if he wants to go with us again and he very excitedly said that he still did!

Ok- Here's the aircast, not such a big deal, but. . . .

. . . . You can see that he's still alive! He went training with us again this Sunday and said that it didn't hurt much, so he's making progress. Wendy said that the Dr. said it could bother him as long as any fracture would, so he probably won't be to full strenth for a few more weeks.

5 comments:

The Todd's Life said...

I think you got the wrong idea.
You definitely was not supposed to "break" your nephew.
I'm glad that he still wants to go with you.
How did the dogs do?
Aunt Diane

jeff and alli said...

Oh poor little guy, though it sounds like he was pretty tough.

tash said...

I hope feels better soon!

Devin and Megan said...

Oh how sad! Hey We are going to there Memorial Weekend, from Thursday till monday! We are staying in IF. We need to get together!

Justin and Kristin said...

The dogs did very well that day actually! It was a good training day!