I tried to put Hailey in bed for 15 minutes tonight. She did not nap today and was beyond tired, which led to her fighting sleep. When we said prayers she fell asleep, hahaaa, so I finished it for her and started to leave. She of course woke up then. She started complaining of monsters - this is after Daddy checked her room for monsters - so I asked her if she wanted to say a prayer that she wouldn't be scared and she said she did. So, we said another prayer, which she finished, and before I left the room, she was all but asleep.
My thoughts are this: I have tried to help her say her prayers each night and for a long time now, have had her ask to have good dreams or something of the sort, since she had problems with that. I don't know if it helps or makes her feel better or makes me feel better or does nothing. I would like to think that God would answer a 2 year old's prayer, but at the same time know we can't realistically ask for the same thing every night. Am I teaching her FAITH and the POWER OF PRAYER or I am giving her a false sense that we WILL get what we ask for??? I know she is 2 and I am only beginning to teach, but when will she realize that God answers prayers in HIS OWN TIME? I know this is way too large of a concept to even be worrying about now, but I do, because this is me we are talking about and I analyze everything. So, while I feel happy that a simple prayer could ease Hailey's mind enough to let her fall asleep and a sense of some accomplishment as a mother, in a spiritual sense, I can't help but wonder if I am letting her down and teaching her too much faith in something we can't always count on. These are my thoughts, more of a journal entry, don't expect others to understand, but that's what I have for tonight.
3 comments:
I remember having nightmares all the time, and I remember praying nightly for good dreams and to be able to have happy dreams...it always worked for me. I don't think you're doing any harm, you are teaching her that when you need help, you turn to Heavenly Father.
In my opinion, I would rather teach my children to pray and later teach them the timing thing, rather than not teach them to pray because of the timing. I am 100% sure that Heavenly Father hears little Hailey's prayers and answers them!!! Good job mama!
Kristin, I think about the same things with my children. I do what you do, continue to encourage them to pray and ask and sometimes they get the answers they want and it is awesome. And a lot of times they don't (milk doesn't just magically appear in the fridge, new toys don't just show up, the kids don't always win.....) and sometimes we end up discussing that rather than asking to always be the winner, we can ask to do our best....I think prayers and receiving revelation are complicated concepts, even for adults! If you have great success helping Hailey, pass it along so I can try it with my kids too. :)
Post a Comment