PART I
Back in February, I went to look for a job opening for next school year late one night and found a part-time job in District 91 and decided to apply. The next day I got called, ended up inverviewing that day, with really no warning, then got a call after the weekend, offering me a job! The training was the next day, but the job didn't start for 3 weeks. I started my new job on March 5th at Idaho Falls High School (where I did my student teaching). It is a brand new class they were trying out called credit recovery. It uses a computer program called NovaNet, which has multiple on-line courses students can take. I have kids who have previously failed a course and use this program to re-do the course and get the credit, rather than going back into the classroon the following trimester or year to repeat it.
My job is very easy most of the time, but I do a lot of multi-tasking, good thing I love it and am quite busy at times. Basically I monitor the students, but mostly my job is to make sure they are progressing and to pass their tests when they complete them, so they can move on to the next section. It's weird because I am a teacher, but I am a paraprofessional. So, I get paid what a para makes, but have my own class and students..... However, I am totally okay with this because I don't have to take ANY work home; no lesson plans or grading papers, wahoo!!
I work from 12:00pm-3:50pm, give or take, yup a little bit of flexability! I love spending mornings leisurly with Hailey, getting out of the house for a few hours and still being home to get a chore done (or more time with Hailey) before I have to make dinner! I feel like I'm contributing, but still being a Mom and this will give me an "in" whenever a full-time job comes available and I want to work full-time.
I obviously have the "rough" kids, they really aren't too bad, which I always said I would NEVER want. I actually like them for the most part, except a few are defiant some days. I almost feel like this is where I am suppose to be; like someday I am going to be what one of these students needs.
Oh and the administration thinks the class has worked great and they love me, so I'm coming back next year!
PART II
So, after 2 years of not getting a job, they are being handed to me! I got a call about a month into my new job, from Rocky Mountain Middle School where I did a lot of subbing, offering me a permanent sub job in a study hall class. They knew I was only going to be available mornings and this job was that, kind of. It got done at 11:59, ha! Well, I got permission from my administration to be 10 min. late every day and started working that job as well. I worked 8:15-noon and noon-4:00, straight. I ate in my car and didn't even have time for a potty break in the transition. After 2 weeks of that, they offered me the job till the end of the year and I had to tell them it was too much to handle. After 3 1/2 weeks of that, I had had enough and got my new brother-in-law, Deitrich, into the job, He is LOVING it BTW and will have it next year too!
PART III
One reason I was too burnt out with that job, was because I was basically handed another job sometime while all of this was going on. Long story short, I volunteered to help out with the I.F. cheer squad this coming year and have ended up getting myself a fabulous gig, that I am truly excited for.....coaching I.F.'s freshman cheerleaders. The pay for this job is next to nothing, no really, I might spend more in gas money driving to practices and games than I will make, not joking. But this is what I want to do and part of the reason I became a teacher. :) So, I have been busy with cheer try-outs and getting our squad situated for this coming year. YAY - GO TIGERS!!
I am still working at Kohl's. They were wonderful enough to let me only work once a month after I started working at I.F. and will let me work more during summer, since sadly I still have to pay bills in the summer, even though school is out!
So, between all that and the litter of puppies we had, that's why I didn't update for a couple of months. We did get all the puppies sold for the full price and by about 5 weeks old, so we weren't even worrying when they were old enough to go home! 2 puppies went to completely separate home in Arkansas, crazy huh!? We are becoming well known. Justin works almost every minute he can with the dogs; he is serious about Top Gun Retrieverz; it's kind of fun to have a successful business! :)
2 comments:
Wonder Woman!
You sound sooo busy! Glad that you are finding some work, that is wonderful. I think the part-time gig sounds great too, as you said, good mommy time but also some good time out of the house too. Good luck with cheer leading.
Post a Comment