Not only are our dogs trained with the basic sit, stay and even fetch, along with everything they have to do for the Hunt Test qualifications, which make them each worth a $few grand$....but they are so smart in a number of daily quirk kind of ways too.......
In the morning if I get out of bed, Gunnar jumps up to steal my spot; if Justin gets up, Lucy steals his spot, never any other way and they know the difference between a middle of the night bathroom run and actually getting up for the day; they only steal the spots in the morning.
If we put all the dogs out, they know its either bcuz we are leaving or going to bed and they have to go to their kennels (they know which one is theirs) when that happens, so after they ALL come in, they head to their kennels w/out a word from us.
I just find this part funny....when they are out of water, Fire runs back and forth between us and it until we figure it out, same with food. Cougar will try to knock the big part off the back, cuz there is still a small amout left that doesn't come out into the bowl; he knocks the food one too, but it's just all out. Gunnar, this is my favorite part, goes to the shower and hops in to see if there are any drops left from the last shower. (No, they never have drank from the toilet (we're pretty good at keeping that closed) and we don't leave them water or foodless very often, but it does happen.)
When I do my make-up, as soon as I put the things into the case, they know I'm done and that I'm done being busy, so they get up and usually want me to play. As soon as either we spin the computer chair (just slightly) OR close the laptop screen, they know we are done with computer, i.e. not busy anymore, and usually want to go outside. Such silly dogs.
Now, if you are still reading, this is the truly impressive part, the rest is just memorized daily routine stuff, this I think is very intelligent......When Justin gets up in the morning to go to work, whatever.....when he gets up in regular clothing and goes to leave, the dogs get a little excited - why you ask? - bcuz they think there is a chance they get to go training .....and when he gets up super early in the morning (when it's still dark) OR puts on hunting clothes - yes, they can tell the freaking difference - they all start to freak out, cuz they know somebody gets to go HUNTING!! I'm sorry, but I've never known a dog that can tell what you are wearing, they know what Justin is wearing and get excited based on that!!
The one last thing I can think of, is that most days between 5:45pm and 6:15pm, Gunnar goes to the front door in anticipation of Justin's arrival home from work. (He gets off at 6:00pm and is usually home about 6:15pm.) The dog knows what time of day it is (I think I've heard of this before, but still....)!
2 comments:
Funny dogs. It's a good thing they are well behaved otherwise you might go crazy!
They sound like pretty awesome dogs! :)
Post a Comment