Saturday, August 29, 2009

The new litter has arrived!

August 27th, 2009
We are so blessed to have had an entirely healthy litter again! 11 puppies: 6 black and 5 yellow.
There are 3 of each sex of the black, 3 yellow females and 2 yellow males (Some are red, but we just aren't quite sure how many are really going to BE RED.). That's why Lucy was so miserable, 11! They came 5 days early this time, but this time we were mostly prepared!
Justin was the supervisor this time because I had to be in Pocatello for school. The first one was born on one of Justin's hunting shirts, so no big deal, so he took the little black girl (first like last time) and Lucy into the 'puppy nursery' and laid out the blankets, so the rest of the long afternoon could continue. The first few came relatively quickly. There was about an hour and a half between 7 & 8. Number 9 came on my drive home and Justin said he thought there might be one more in there still. When I finally got home, as soon as she saw me, Lucy growled at me- good mothering instincts. I talked to her for just a second and then went in to admire all the new little ones.

--The 1st 9

Justin and I considered if these ones were smaller than the last ones had been at very first or if it was just our memories seeing it that way. Then came #10. We thought her stomach looked pretty empty, you just can't tell for sure. Last time she looked like a starving dog, SO skinny, so we didn't know if she needed to get rid of more or if we just made sure she was eating more this end of the pregnancy. After about a half hour, we decided that was everypuppy, so we went and did a few things we needed to do. About 20 minutes later, Justin went in to make sure everyone was still good and he yelled at me, "There's 11!" I ran in and sure enough a little red male was an addition to the last count, trying to even up the color and sex scores. ;) We decided that probably our earlier thought was true, they were probably smaller this time because there were 2 more this litter!
--New Momma watching over her new puppies.
--Gunnar was curious again. Lucy allowed him in when they were a day old.
She isn't so leanient with Cougar and Fire.
I think I've decided that 11 is a bit too hard to count to while keeping track of everyone, so I've started counting 5 yellow and 6 black, it's more do-able. We are glad they were all healthy, but we still have to check on them often, to make sure they aren't getting smooshed. Luckily, this time when they get big enough, they are going OUTSIDE, yay! I just hope we can get rid of all of them at a good price, 11 puppies, this will help us get our new house or help me go to France (anyone?). We decided $450 this time, so if you know anyone who might be interested in a lab puppy, please refer them to us. We have a LOT to choose from, who ALL need homes on October 8th!
--Everypuppy after 2 whole days!

And now, Fire is staying with Sam and Farlee (they are our friends who bought Bella, Fire's sister), till the puppies are gone, to simplify things around here! Bella will enjoy a live-in friend and Justin and I are thinking that minus Fire, Cougar will calm down a notch too, so it will be even more helpful than just being one dog shorter, hopefully, it will end up feeling like 1 1/2 dogs less around here. :)

--I had to take a parting picture of my Fireball (yes, mine, Justin had to have her, but she LOVES ME!).

1 comment:

Devin and Megan said...

WAHOO!! Congrats! They are all so darn cute!
Glad to hear y'all are doing well!
Love ya