Sunday, January 11, 2009

FULL HOUSE!!

It's 2009 and I'm back!
Here's what's gone on the last couple weeks.....

1. I finished school! YEAH! (with good grades even!) I've been studying for my Praxis, which I took yesterday and now I await the scores (it takes about a month). Once I pass then I can student teach and therefore FINALLY graduate! (So, I should be student teaching this fall, even if I fail the tests, I can re-take them in April.)
2. Gunnar came up with these dry, wierd looking, dermatitis spots just after Christmas and a couple days later, there were more, so we took him in and the Vet. didn't have a clue, even after a hair sample. That's a bit frusterating, how do we know if he's seriously ill or gonna be fine!? She gave him an antibiotic shot, a prescription for antobiotics and told me to get him some cream. So, over $100 and a week later, he's lookin' much better. BUT a couple days later, Lucy got one, so we started the cream, but then she got another one, so now she's on antibiotics. Luckily, she only got 2, not a bunch like Gunnar. (The only idea the Vet. had was that they got something from their doghouse, so we disinfected that.) (The puppies are all great, nothing there!) Whatever it was, it's just some skin irritation and is going away well!
3. Last weekend Justin got to go to Boise, to hang out with Darren (an old school friend). They went bird hunting! Duck, Goose, whatever, they had a blast! Gunnar got to go, since Lucy had to be a Mom. He had a bit too much fun. When Justin brought Gunnar home, I said, "WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM?!?!?" He looked like he'd been beaten up! Justin said it was the brush that he has to look through to retrieve the birds and they also did a bit of Quail hunting, so Gunnar had to jump them for the guys. (This is just simply when the dog sniffs through the brush until it gets close enough to scare the birds out and up.) His eyes and nose and a bit of his legs took a beating, but I think he cared more how hard he had to work, he slept for 2 days after he got home!!
A funny story though..... Yes, Gunnar has LOTS of energy, but he's the NICEST dog you ever met! The only danger you are in, is of getting jumped on when he comes to greet you. Besides the mail man (our mailbox is on our house, so when he brings the mail it sounds like he's trying to come in to the dogs I geuss) and noises in the dark, he NEVER barks and has never met a person he didn't approve of. Well, when in Boise, Justin and Gunnar slept in a guest room and one morning, Darren thought he would be funny and come in and wake Justin up. He snuck the door open, and Justin said that's as far as he got, Gunnar went CRAZY, barking and closing in on the door. Needless to say, Darren didn't get to play a trick on Justin. But, I tell you this story cuz now we know, Gunnar won't just LICK a burgler to death, he would actually scare him away!
4. What you've all been waiting for: The puppies! Holy cow, 11 dogs is just a few TOO many! They are getting bigger and therefore making BIGGER MESSES, yah, those kind of messes! I'm beginning to think $500 isn't worth it! We now clean twice a day and that takes at LEAST 1/2 an hour each time. They started to walk and we've just finished weening them. That was fun! At first, a couple puppies started eating Lucy's food shortly before they even grew teeth! So, when she got sick of them (and I felt bad for her cuz they were really starting to CLAW at her, but I felt bad for them, cuz they were HUNGRY) it was easy to get most of them to eat the puppy food. But 3 didn't like it so much, so we asked the vet. and she said to get a stage 2 suppliment: it's not milk, it's a powder that makes the food sweeter. So, then we had 8 puppies eating softened food, but the one little black girl is a PRINCESS, just like her MOM and would not have any of it! So, I made that powder into milk and she drank that once. The next day, she wouldn't do it. We started to worry about her getting skinny, but Lucy helped us out luckily. Now as of yesterday, the little black girl eats it too! Yay! So that's all behind us now, but like I said, it's NOT pretty a few hours later!! Anyway, they also have teeth now, but there claws are scarier. They just barely play with each other, it only lasts a couple minutes and then they go back to sleep. We have 4 of the 9 sold and they will be 4 weeks tomorrow, so if you wanna come see them, give us a call, they are open for socializing!!
Now, some pic.s......
Shaky steps-
Play Time- (They aren't very good at it yet.)
Lunch Time- Everybody's finally on soft food!
3 weeks old-
5. This week marks our 1 year Anniversary on Blogger! Thanks to Meagan again for convincing me and helping me to do this!
HAVE A GREAT YEAR EVERYBODY!!

6 comments:

jeff and alli said...

The dogs are getting even cutter, I love it.

But a bigger deal, yeah for finishing school! That is a lot of work, I hope you celebrated. Congrats.

tash said...

Too bad I cant have a puppy.

JoshandMegs said...

ha. you are very welcome. it's so wonderful, the blogging world! congrats on school!

Patty and Jim Conan said...

Holy crap, Kristin, I thought is was a nightmare babysitting only 2 puppies at 6 weeks old. You really have your hands full! You have such cute ankle biters. My puppies new mom took them to the vet for a first check up and shots and one had the same dry skin. Maybe it's something more serious spreading around. I know the vet (Rhonda) said to keep the puppies away from where other dogs may have been because Parvo is everywhere right now, she wouldn't even let her put the pups on the floor of her office for fear of it. So you should advise the same thing to your purchasers when they pick them up. And have them make a vet apt quickly. What cuties!

Favs From My Kitchen to Yours!! said...

Graduating!? Puppies!? I haven't been checking out blogs for awhile...holidays were CRAZY! You're awesome! What a huge accomplishment! Cammie just got done student-teaching and is now teaching full-time. You two are such an inspiration. Before kids would have been much easier but, I'm determined to finish school before Kaders is in Kindergarten!

Your puppies are so cute. Are you going crazy or are they pretty easy? I'm sure having them gone, when the time comes, will be both happy and sad.

Thanks for the beginning of the year update. Have a great year!

The Todd's Life said...

It sounds like life is busy with "all" of the dogs. It's worth it - because of the happiness they bring to you.
Sounds good about your school. I'm proud of you.
Aunt Diane